I See Your True Colors Shining Through – Cultural Competence for the Dental Professional
CE Hours: 3
Learning Method: Self Study
Release Date: 7/1/2021
Review Date: 8/5/2021
Expiration Date: 7/1/2024
Course DescriptionIn a country of ever-increasing diversity, clinicians must be equipped to interact with clients of varied cultural backgrounds. Those delivering effective, empathetic health care must be cognizant of the values, beliefs and attitudes toward health that people from various populations hold. The culturally competent oral health provider recognizes that cultural diversity means far more than just ethnicity and reaching all groups with various barriers can be challenging. This pre-recorded self study course will present cultural diversity issues, how dental professionals can become more culturally competent in the delivery of patient care and ways to use this knowledge for addressing access to care barriers among the population groups discussed. Different models of cultural competency will be explained, and a variety of diverse population beliefs and ideals will be presented, emphasizing communication and incorporation of respect for diverse beliefs. Oral health issues of various cultures will be presented and discussed.
At the completion of this course the participants should be able to:
- Describe key trends in the demographics of culturally diverse populations.
- Identify general health beliefs and values of diverse groups.
- Describe methods for effectively communicating with diverse populations.
- Identify collaborative partners in the provision of oral health services to diverse populations.
- Describe oral health issues of some cultures/ethnicities.
- Available 24/7 on demand access
- Online exam
- Please take exam in one sitting
- Exam graded immediately
- Able to re-take exam if needed
- Certificate available after passing course
The educational teaching methodology used in this course is a self-study lecture presented via pre-recorded webinar in concert with an accompanying PowerPoint presentation. Both the pre-recorded webinar and the PowerPoint presentation incorporate a variety of audio and visual cues to enhance audience members’ understanding and retention of key concepts."
What People Are Saying
- "Great information, simply explained."
Nancy C. - RDH
- "Great class!"
Lori S. - RDH
- "The speaker was very passionate about the topic and that made it more interesting."
Raquel V. - RDH
Join our email list for information on upcoming events and special promos
Nationally Approved PACE Program
Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by
any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
11/1/2021 to 10/31/2027. Provider AGD #: 208978