9 Days Left Until the Live Webinar
Take It On The Run Baby: Street Drugs, Substance Abuse, Clinical Considerations and Patient Care Planning
3 Live CEUs
Subject Code: 157
Thomas A. Viola B.S., R.Ph., C.C.P.
Date + Time:
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm Eastern
Course DescriptionTake It On The Run Baby: Street Drugs, Substance Abuse, Clinical Considerations and Patient Care Planning
It’s a fast-paced world and, unfortunately, many of our patients seek the assistance of substances to cope and get through their busy, trying days. However, the use and abuse of both illicit and licit substances has the potential to produce systemic adverse reactions and life-threatening medical emergencies during dental treatment.
This program will provide participants with an overview of the most common substances of abuse, along with their potential contraindications to dental therapy and the resulting necessity, if any, for dosage modifications of commonly used dental drugs. Special emphasis will be given to a discussion of patients using marijuana (cannabis) for both medical and recreational purposes.
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Substance Dependence as a Disease
- The Biochemical Nature of Substance Use Abuse and Dependence
- The Impact of Substance Dependence on Dental Care and Patient Health
- Identifying Substance Dependence
- Dependency and Controlled Substances
- Substances of Abuse and Dependence
- Cocaine, Methamphetamine, MDMA
- Prescription Drugs for ADHD, "Bath Salts"
- Rohypnol, GHB
- Ketamine, Dextromethorphan
- Salvia, Antihistamines, Inhalants
- New on the Street
- Addressing Substance Dependency
- Preventing Drug Diversion in the Dental Office
The educational teaching methodology used in this course is a lecture presented via live webinar in concert with an accompanying PowerPoint presentation. Both the live lecture and the PowerPoint presentation incorporate a variety of audio and visual cues to enhance audience members’ understanding and retention of key concepts. In addition, audience participation will be encouraged and facilitated by group discussions as well as question and answer periods provided for at the conclusion of each section of the live webinar."
To register by phone, please call (603) 736-9200
Course ObjectivesAt the completion of this course the participants should be able to:
- Describe techniques useful in identifying and addressing substance dependency.
- Discuss the impact of substance dependence and abuse on dental therapy and on overall patient health.
- Discuss strategies necessary for successfully managing substance-abusing patients.
- Identify the most common illicit and licit substances of abuse and dependence and discuss: Street names, Common adverse effects, Oral manifestations, Dental treatment considerations
What People Are Saying
- "I liked that it was easy to interact with the speaker and ask questions!"
- "Once again thank you!!! Valuable info -relevant is an understatement "
- "Awesome Course!"
- This webinar will be hosted on Zoom.
- After registering with Concord Seminars, you will receive an email to register on Zoom. Please click that link and register with Zoom ahead of time.
- After registering with Zoom, you will receive an email with instruction on how to access your webinar on the day of.
- If you've registered for multiple webinars, please note, you will have to register with Zoom by clicking the emailed link for EACH webinar
- Please Note - If you receive a welcome email directly from zoom, that email could mention time limits. Time limits apply if you are hosting your own meeting. You are participating in our live webinar so are not subject to that limit nor will you have to pay Zoom for more time.
- A link to your credit verification form will be available on your Account page, under the 'Previously Attended Seminars/Webinars' tab, within 5 business days.
Join our email list for information on upcoming events and special promos
Nationally Approved PACE Program
Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by
any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
11/1/2021 to 10/31/2027. Provider AGD #: 208978