3 Days Left Until the Live Webinar
Human Trafficking: Understanding the Issues
3 Live CEUs
Subject Code: 166
Dr. Nancy W. Burkhart Ed.D., M.Ed., BSDH, AFAAOM
Date + Time:
Friday, December 9, 2022
10:00 am - 1:00 pm Eastern
Course DescriptionHuman Trafficking: Understanding the Issues
Human Trafficking is a $150 billion criminal industry and has continued to increase over the past few years. This course is designed to awaken the dental community to the possibility of human trafficking involving patients seeking care in a dental facility. Many clues may be evident and exhibited by a patient or even by the perpetrator who may be accompanying the victim. Many children have been brought to the USA by traffickers and the likely event of seeing these victims in your office is going to increase. When a victim cannot perform their duties for a trafficker because of pain or trauma-related injury, the person will be brought to a facility for evaluation. Unless the healthcare professional is aware of the signs, the opportunity to assist the victims may not be recognized.Communication with the victim is key in gaining trust and understanding the issues involved in each circumstance. Certain tactics used by a perpetrator may result in head and neck injury to a victim and are visible to the dental professional during a thorough exam. These tissue findings, injuries will be discussed as items that will get your attention. The protocol for reporting human trafficking will be presented with excellent handouts for the participant on dental findings and seeking help for a victim. Many states are now requiring a course in this subject matter and all dental personnel should be aware of human trafficking clues, how to communicate with the patient, assist in seeking help for the victim and recognizing abuse. What is Sextortion? It is a form of Cyber Sexual Harassment or Revenge Porn. The sharing of private sexually explicit self-images has become a frequent practice with both the young and adult populations. Learn the way you can protect yourself and children from this online issue.
After attending this live dental CEU webinar, your continuing education verification form will be available in your online account within 2-3 business days. Once issued, you can access your CE verification form at any time.
Course ObjectivesAt the completion of this course the participants should be able to:
- Learn the ways you can protect yourself and children against sextortion.
- Become knowledgeable in ways that a health professional can assist a victim and obtain help.
- Enhance your communication skills in approaching a human trafficking victim-learn what to say and what not to say.
- Learn the key organizations available to assist in reporting a possible trafficking victim and become familiar with local/state organizations that are available to the healthcare provider.
- Identify key factors in making your office a trauma-informed office.
- Become familiar with the techniques of force, fraud and coercion used by traffickers and the control mechanisms that continue to promote and exploit victims globally.
- Learn what you as a healthcare provider can do to stop these atrocious crimes against victims from human traffickers, drug cartels and human smugglers.
- List the key professions involved in the subsets of both labor and sex trafficking.
- Become comfortable with key communication factors in approaching a human trafficking victim in conversation.
- Identify the verbal, physical and dental clues that indicate a patient may be a trafficking victim or a perpetrator.
- Understand the characteristics of individuals who become targets for perpetrators.
The educational teaching methodology used in this course is a lecture presented via live webinar in concert with an accompanying PowerPoint presentation. Both the live lecture and the PowerPoint presentation incorporate a variety of audio and visual cues to enhance audience members’ understanding and retention of key concepts. In addition, audience participation will be encouraged and facilitated by group discussions as well as question and answer periods provided for at the conclusion of each section of the live webinar."
To register by phone, please call (603) 736-9200
What People Are Saying
- "I liked the videos and testimonies. It really hit me in the heart"
- "I feel the information will better help me to be more aware of warning signs in my patients."
- "Dr. Burkhart was very personable and easy to listen to and talk to!"
- This webinar will be hosted on Zoom.
- After registering with Concord Seminars, you will receive an email to register on Zoom. Please click that link and register with Zoom ahead of time.
- After registering with Zoom, you will receive an email with instruction on how to access your webinar on the day of.
- If you've registered for multiple webinars, please note, you will have to register with Zoom by clicking the emailed link for EACH webinar
- Please Note - If you receive a welcome email directly from zoom, that email could mention time limits. Time limits apply if you are hosting your own meeting. You are participating in our live webinar so are not subject to that limit nor will you have to pay Zoom for more time.
- A link to your credit verification form will be available on your Account page, under the 'Previously Attended Seminars/Webinars' tab, within 5 business days.
Join our email list for information on upcoming events and special promos
Nationally Approved PACE Program
Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by
any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
11/1/2021 to 10/31/2027. Provider AGD #: 208978