19 Days Left Until the Live Webinar
Prevention vs. Prosecution – Patient Care Issues in Dentistry
3 Live CEUs
Subject Code: 550
Dianne Glasscoe Watterson R.D.H., M.B.A., G.C.-C.
Date + Time:
Saturday, February 25, 2023
10:00 am - 1:00 pm Eastern
Course DescriptionPrevention vs. Prosecution – Patient Care Issues in Dentistry
The practice of dentistry and dental hygiene involves adhering to strict standards of care. This course examines the best methods for producing desirable results to avoid injury. Clinical standards are reflected in various case histories. Proper documentation protocol, the gold standard in mitigating liability, is also discussed. Mitigating liability includes developing superb communication skills necessary to help patients understand treatment advantages, disadvantages, risks, and alternatives. We will dissect some of the most challenging communication scenarios in the dental office, such as what to say when patients reject treatment recommendations or necessary radiographs, and implementing an informed consent/informed refusal protocol. You will gain useful information to improve your own communication skills.
- Defining the standard of care
- The four elements of malpractice
- The top ten causes of alleged dental negligence for doctors and hygienists
- The four reasons dental hygienists should carry malpractice insurance
- Types of insurance
- Elements of good documentation
- What not to include in patient records
- Determining how much to write
- Ten commandments of charting
- Informed consent/refusal
- Importance of open communication
The educational teaching methodology used in this course is a lecture presented via live webinar in concert with an accompanying PowerPoint presentation. Both the live lecture and the PowerPoint presentation incorporate a variety of audio and visual cues to enhance audience members’ understanding and retention of key concepts. In addition, audience participation will be encouraged and facilitated by group discussions as well as question and answer periods provided for at the conclusion of each section of the live webinar."
To register by phone, please call (603) 736-9200
Course ObjectivesAt the completion of this course the participants should be able to:
- To learn how to deal effectively with patients that reject treatment recommendations
- Dissect the top ten clinical causes of liability for dentists and dental hygienists
- Understand what constitutes malpractice
- Understand the foundations of tort law and how it applies to the profession of dentistry
- Examine state board process when dealing with complaints
- Understand the gold standard in mitigating liability - documentation
- Discuss the role of the patient in decision-making
- Implement informed consent protocol in treatment planning
- Identify situations in the dental office that can trigger liability for dental hygienists and dentists
What People Are Saying
- "The speaker gave good anecdotes about how to navigate the x-ray resistant patient. And how to confirm the patient understood a discussion about treatment."
- "The speaker, dianne Watterson was excellent!! She went at the perfect pace, not too fast or too slow and kept things entertaining with her great slides and stories. She presented information that I could go back to my office and implement right away. One of the best courses I have taken in my 22 years of practicing dental hygiene!!"
- "As usual, Dianne is very gracious in sharing important information to hygienists She cares. Thank you!"
- This webinar will be hosted on Zoom.
- After registering with Concord Seminars, you will receive an email to register on Zoom. Please click that link and register with Zoom ahead of time.
- After registering with Zoom, you will receive an email with instruction on how to access your webinar on the day of.
- If you've registered for multiple webinars, please note, you will have to register with Zoom by clicking the emailed link for EACH webinar
- Please Note - If you receive a welcome email directly from zoom, that email could mention time limits. Time limits apply if you are hosting your own meeting. You are participating in our live webinar so are not subject to that limit nor will you have to pay Zoom for more time.
- A link to your credit verification form will be available on your Account page, under the 'Previously Attended Seminars/Webinars' tab, within 5 business days.
Join our email list for information on upcoming events and special promos
Nationally Approved PACE Program
Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by
any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
11/1/2021 to 10/31/2027. Provider AGD #: 208978