40 Days Left Until the Live Webinar
Periodontal Concepts for The Modern Dental Practice: From Diagnosis to Long Term Maintenance Care
8 Live CEUs
Subject Code: 490
James Kohner D.D.S.
Date + Time:
Friday, May 5, 2023
10:00 am - 6:30 pm Eastern
RDH or Aux. in attendance with Dentist: $130.00
Course DescriptionPeriodontal Concepts for The Modern Dental Practice: From Diagnosis to Long Term Maintenance Care
This live webinar will clarify diagnosis and treatment planning to help hygienists and dentists feel comfortable with stabilizing periodontal conditions and creating a predictable foundation for successful ongoing maintenance and restorative care. The topics covered will include diagnosis, prognosis, minimally invasive anti-microbial methods, osseous concepts, role of trauma from the occlusion, and predictable methods for patient motivation that will provide a key cornerstone for long-term successful maintenance care. This course is designed to enhance or develop skills in basic periodontal diagnosis and treatment planning, while at the same time showing the long term potential for a non-surgical minimally invasive approach.
An evidenced based method for minimally invasive management of moderate to advanced periodontal infection will be presented. We will discuss why targeting the bacteria and not the pocket is oftentimes the best approach. We will explore ongoing maintenance, an obvious key factor for long-term success, and introduce methods that patients can manage at home without being too complicated. With this approach compliance is typically improved versus traditional efforts of getting people to floss, which only disappoints clinicians when patients do not comply.Please note this live, interactive webinar will have an Exit Exam for those that need it for CE requirements. The Exit Exam will be provided at the close of the webinar with the evaluation survey.
After attending this live dental CEU webinar, your continuing education verification form will be available in your online account within 2-3 business days. Once issued, you can access your CE verification form at any time.
- Diagnosing, Treating, and Maintaining Periodontal Disease
- Forecasting predictability of treatment
- Rationale AGAINST plaque control
- Role of occlusion in treating and maintaining Periodontal Disease
- Furcations - Can they really be managed?
- Teeth vs. Implants
- Are we saving enough teeth?
- Role of long-term maintenance care
- Bone sets the tone in managing predictable results
- Bone contouring concepts and fallacies
- Managing furcations - Tunnel furcations or not?
- Soft Tissue Grafting – making soft tissues more maintainable and restorations more predictable
- To graft or not to graft
- Which soft tissue grafts are most predictable and which are not?
- Which graft is especially suited to cover exposed cuspid roots?
- Difference between Gingival Grafts and Free Gingival Grafts
- Role of grafts in obtaining predictable restorative results
- The “Gold Standard” for soft tissue augmentation
- Why we focus on FGG and CTG
- “To Graft or Not to Graft” decision tree:
- No recession present – do we graft?
- Recession is present – do we graft now?
- How does a restoration influence these decisions?
- Examples of FGG and CTG
- Beating Up on Periodontal Disease – A Minimally Invasive Technique
- How effective are patients with their oral hygiene care?
- Not so good?
- Why, and what can we do about it?
- A simplified approach to oral care at home
- Does it really work?
- Treating Pockets or Bacteria - Which one matters more?
- Indications for Antimicrobial Treatment
- Gingivitis to Advanced Periodontitis
- Active Suppuration
- Previously treated and failing Periodontitis
- Near terminal dentition from Periodontitis
- Role of bacterial culturing
- Role of antibiotics
- Treatment - Surgical and non-surgical approaches explained
- Case examples
- Minimally Invasive
- Scaling and Root Planning
- Home maintenance protocols - Treating pockets or bacteria?
- How effective are patients with their oral hygiene care?
Dr. Kohner’s online presentation is of a live lecture format that includes up to date literature evidence for his statements. Multiple case reports with radiographic evidence of healing will illustrate the potential for methods being discussed. Many opportunities for questions will be available throughout the day."
To register by phone, please call (603) 736-9200
Course ObjectivesAt the completion of this course the participants should be able to:
- Understand what types of soft tissue grafting will stop recession and which will cover exposed root surfaces
- Understand the various periodontal disease diagnostic factors
- Articulate case for and against plaque control
- Explore different types of soft tissue grafting and their relationship to recession and obtaining root coverage
- Understand long term maintenance care – a foundational concept
- Discuss occlusion and it’s role in periodontal disease
- Discuss whether or not to treat furcations and if they can be maintained over time
- Identify the role of Diamine Fluoride in adult maintenance care
- Outline the various minimally invasive antimicrobial methods
- Explain simplified, yet effective, self-care for patients at home
- Understand how soft tissue grafting will enhance restorative results
- PDF of handout emailed prior to webinar
- Access to rewatch the recording for 30 days after the presentation
What People Are Saying
- "I was able to follow very well, enjoyed Dr. Kohner's voice and ability to follow along with his cursor. It was very informative, and I am excited about thinking differently! Thank you!"
- "The presenter's willingness to answer questions and entertain other's ideas"
- "Everything was very well laid out and the speaker knew his subject well; lots of great photos."
- This webinar will be hosted on Zoom.
- After registering with Concord Seminars, you will receive an email to register on Zoom. Please click that link and register with Zoom ahead of time.
- After registering with Zoom, you will receive an email with instruction on how to access your webinar on the day of.
- If you've registered for multiple webinars, please note, you will have to register with Zoom by clicking the emailed link for EACH webinar
- Please Note - If you receive a welcome email directly from zoom, that email could mention time limits. Time limits apply if you are hosting your own meeting. You are participating in our live webinar so are not subject to that limit nor will you have to pay Zoom for more time.
- A link to your credit verification form will be available on your Account page, under the 'Previously Attended Seminars/Webinars' tab, within 5 business days.
Join our email list for information on upcoming events and special promos
Nationally Approved PACE Program
Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by
any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
11/1/2021 to 10/31/2027. Provider AGD #: 208978